12.2.14

Type and Responsive Design

Well, I have been taking the new approach to Web Design in regards to responsive design. Unfortunately this approach has been riddled with problems. Having a fluid layout became quite problematic with type styling (or rather how to make divs respond to layouts with type in them). In my previous design I created a static website and when viewed through Screenfly it fits within layouts nicely even if having to scroll around the browser vertically. Nothing to bothersome and the layout holds until the smaller screens with approximately 950 horizontal.

The new design has issues so far throughout most layouts when viewed in Screenfly. After scratching my head for several days on how to work with these new "limitations" I am convinced that the best way is to design with a mostly fixed and static design and create a separate layout designed with CSS and media queries. So I will begin the process of rebuilding the rebuilt website in such a manner.

I invite you to try these two separate urls at http://quirktools.com/screenfly/

www.designsource-bfg.com and www.designsource-bfg.com/redesign/new.html

This being said, I was able to resolve the issue with the jQuery Cycle with the responsive layout. Seemed I needed to simplify my code slightly and was able to get that to work across all browsers so I got that going for me...